Friday, May 3, 2019
Tuesday, April 30, 2019
Bridge burning bridges: Why the China-funded Binondo-Intramuros structure is controversial
MANILA, Philippines — It is unclear where a bridge symbolizing the fusion of two cultures—or ties of two states—is leading, as its construction faces opposition from local and international organizations and from some government agencies.China don't care. China just want to help Duterte "build, build, build"
The construction of China-funded Binondo-Intramuros "Friendship" Bridge last year made headlines as the proposed project is feared to overstep the edge of the San Agustin Church’s buffer zone in the walled historic area of Intramuros in Manila.
Encroachment of the buffer zone, required by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, could lead to the delisting of the church and three other baroque churches in the country as world heritage sites.
Read the rest here.
Labels:
bridge,
build build build,
china,
intramuros,
san agustin church
Monday, April 29, 2019
HUGE: US warns China on aggressive acts by fishing boats and coast guard
The US has warned China that it will respond to provocative acts by its coast guard and fishing boats in the same way it reacts to the Chinese navy in an effort to curb Beijing’s aggressive behaviour in the South China Sea.
Admiral John Richardson, head of the US navy, said he told his Chinese counterpart, vice-admiral Shen Jinlong, in January that Washington would not treat the coast guard or maritime militia — fishing boats that work with the military — differently from the Chinese navy, because they were being used to advance Beijing’s military ambitions.
Significant if true.
Read this comment from a forum:
China and the US are preparing for a war of the sea in the next 5 years or so. The philippines will be dirextly affected by it. Whether we be friends with China or not its just gonna happen. But our side should always be with the allies (US) because if they win we win. If China wins, we lose. Thats just basic common sense.
Rappler: DFA warns Duterte gov't vs Huawei amid warming ties with China
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has warned President Rodrigo Duterte’s government about the risks of partnering with telecommunications giant Huawei in government projects, an internal memorandum obtained by Rappler showed.
“The Department of Foreign Affairs respectfully informs the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT), the National Security Council, and the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency (NICA) that the Czech Republic and France have issued orders to limit the use of Huawei products primarily due to security concerns,” the memorandum dated January 25 read.
It added: “The ban was prompted by the security alert issued by the Czech National Cyber and Security Information Agency (NCISA) that Huawei devices may be used to damage the country’s national interests.”
The DFA then said that France placed restrictions on Huawei as it feared that “China could spy on countries where it has a network presence” of “potential backdoors” in their codes. (READ: European telecoms' dilemma: Huawei or the highway?)
But will Duterte listen? Article here.
Thursday, April 25, 2019
"Manila Set To Block Chinese Bidders From Largest Shipyard, National Security Concerns Over Subic Bay Outweigh Warmer Bilateral Ties.
The Philippine government is set to exclude Chinese bidders from acquiring the country's largest shipyard, situated at the entrance to the highly sensitive South China Sea, amid concerns over Beijing's growing military presence in the region and its potential threat to national security.
The shipyard collapsed in January after South Korea’s Hanjin Heavy Industries and Construction and its Philippine unit defaulted on $1.3 billion in loans. A number of foreign bidders have declared their interest in acquiring the facility, including at least two from China.
Nikkei Asian Review has learned that Manila's Department of Trade and Industry has adopted the Philippine defense ministry's position that a Chinese takeover of the financially troubled shipyard could compromise national security, according to sources in the government.
Good!
Monday, April 22, 2019
Duterte: America Afraid Of Going To War With China, Blames Del Rosario And Aquino Admin For Losing Scarborough
Duterte says US afraid of war vs. China, calls Del Rosario stupid
War over Scarborough 'not worth it' for the US, says Duterte
and this:
Duterte's wrong. Blame the Obama administration for weakness against China if want. And this doesnt excuse Digong from selling out to Xi Jinping.
War over Scarborough 'not worth it' for the US, says Duterte
and this:
Also, he blamed the Aquino administration for doing nothing.
"Why didn't the Philippine government go there at the site with its ship and ask China 'what are you doing here? You are not supposed to build artificial islands in international seas,'" Duterte said in mixed English and Cebuano.
He also lashed out at the US. "America did not also do anything. And now that the islands are built up and military facilities are war-equipped they ask me to go there."
"If I go there to show off, we will all be crushed, and my soldiers and police forces will be massacred. So, we need to negotiate unless we decide to attack China."
Moreover, he said that if we decide to challenge China, "Who will be with me? Will America do so? It won't."
He pointed out that America has failed for years to address its problem with Iran and Iraq.
"In sum, the US has not won its war in the Middle East for years. Who won? No one. The losers are the people and most of the casualties of the war were civilians —the women, the elderly, and children. That's the truth," Duterte said.
Duterte's wrong. Blame the Obama administration for weakness against China if want. And this doesnt excuse Digong from selling out to Xi Jinping.
Labels:
alberto del rosario,
china,
duterte,
scarborough,
south china sea,
spratly islands,
U.S.,
weakness,
west philippine sea
Sunday, April 21, 2019
How Vietnam Quietly Built up 10 Islands in Asia’s Most Disputed Sea
Vietnam is upgrading islets to make them harder for China to take without a cost, not for offensive military use, Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative Director Gregory Poling said.Source: VOANews.
“The Vietnamese endgame seems to be making these facilities more survivable, raising the cost for the Chinese to try to take them,” he said.
China normally leaves Vietnam alone at sea because they have shown a willingness to “bump shoulders” with Chinese vessels if pushed, he said.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)